If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Friday, December 16, 2011

Christopher Hitchens

A few weeks ago I came across a guy called Christopher Hitchens.  Its uncanny... because he just died.  While I only knew of him for a few weeks, it seems he was well known in academic and philosophical circles.

He's a pretty controversial figure, a lifestyle polemicist (I googled it: someone who argues in opposition) - having taken on the likes of God, Muslims, Mother Teresa... he campaigned for and against war, wrote many essays and apparently once got a Brazilian wax.

One of his books was 'God is not great'.  A controversial title if there ever was one.  So when I heard he had died I didn't have the usual sympathetic response, after all, this guy fought against things I stand for.

Thing is, God doesn't need to be defended.  That's so far removed from our role, even putting it in writing seems unnecessary.  It occurred to me that God might actually appreciate people like Hitchens; a guy who thought, and questioned.  It's unfortunate he didn't acknowledge God, but at least he must have considered it at some point...  I don't know, maybe not.