If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Moving house


Tis the seasons to be jolly, tis also the season to move house.  Having been a youth leader for a few years, I've acclimatized to getting couches and fridges (and anything else the Edge leaders leave lying around) through doorways.

Our move happened a few months ago, this time it was a friend... who specifically said I wasn't allowed to write a blog about this... Not sure why.  But to honour the friendship I will leave only vague clues.

An unexpected member of our amateur (only in remuneration) moving crew was friend X's new landlord.  What a legend, apparently an ex-Headmaster.  He quickly slipped into the mould of delegating tasks to teenagers, and while initially irritating, you can't fault a dude who spent his productive years in that position.  He also arrived with a handy trolley and enough rope to tie up an over-weight Mammoth.

As a guy, moving house comes with its own anxieties; a time when your knot-tying skills are put on show.  It can be an ego-boosting affair, or a bit of a downer, depending on the number of helpers with an agricultural background.  I enjoyed success at first, but had my ass handed to me on a plate after my granny knot was dismissed in favour of something more appropriate.