If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Monday, August 15, 2011

Corenza C


I took a sick day today.  Things took a downward turn on Friday when I woke up with a scratchy throat.  Far be it for me to whine, after a weekend of feeling below average, I'm definitely on the mend.

I've had great success in the last few encounters with sickness by allying myself with Sinumax.  This time around, I took Cath's advice and went with Corenza C.  C for vitamin C I think.  Thing is, I had all this time on my hands, and my experience with this new pill was unlike the heart pounding, highly strung pseudoephedrine induced Sinu-coaster... so I wikipedia'ed the active ingredient in Corenza.  Phenylephrine.

It seems to have risen to prominence after 'they' discovered that pseudoephedrine can quite easily be reduced to crystal meth.  Thus its become subject to regulators and drug companies have switched to phenylephrine to sidestep them.

However, time being aplenty, I then googled 'How much does crytal meth cost', and someone suggested around $100 a gram.  While my 120mg Sinumax tablets cost about R35 for 10... and thus using ridiculous extrapolation, pseudoephedrine is about R40 per gram.

So maybe drug companies just did the figures and discovered there was a 'premium pricing' alternative, which in many cases is subject no legislation... hard as society may try.