If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Soccer culture

I think its fair to assume everyone's watched an unusually large amount of soccer in the last 3 weeks, and more than likely made a lot of comments like 'Ah come on  you little girl...', 'No WAYS man!, GROW UP!!'... etc.  Soccer culture is definitely an aquired taste.

Ive been exposed to the other side of soccer, away from the TV cameras, but within sight of the Hemingways CCTV.  If 'Dirty' Diego Forlan tried his luck in our 3-a-side he'd better hire a bodyguard else our teenage gansters might prove too much.

I also got a shot in the ref seat yesterday, which, if you know anything about my sporting heritage, is pretty unusual - especially considering theres hard cash on the line.  Soccer culture dictates that you disagree with 80% of reffing decisions, and lodge an informal complaint accordingly using your hands, facial expressions and words - where neccessary.  Reffing culture dictates that you never change your mind.  The best I could offer yesterday was  "Its in the past now, get over it!".  Im not sure what ref's say to players when they're whining, but judging by the looks I got in my high chair yesterday, I was on the money...

No comments:

Post a Comment