If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Monday, April 9, 2012

Hungry Lion, Vincent


I've just finished my first Hungry Lion purchase.  I've always wanted to try it, but haven't been keen enough to go and find one down town.
Fortunately, the clever people at Hungry Lion have opened a branch at Vincent Checkers.  I know what everyone in Nahoon is thinking... You shop at Checkers?!  Vincent is different.  Its nicer.

I bought a Meal Pack.  I had some misgivings when the lady said "How many?", and I said "One." - I qualified it with "It's just a snack".  And it was... I was at Checkers buying things for supper.  At R9.95 one must measure one's expectations.

Issues of oil and grease aside, which would probably only put it on par with other fried chicken outlets, you get a piece of chicken, punnet of (alledgedly) mash/gravy and a roll.

And now a brief food review:


  • The chicken was legitimately good.
  • The mash wasn't.  It didn't resemble potato any more... it was like thick white sauce, and the "gravy" came out of a packet.
  • The roll also came out of a packet, which is unusual... but was good too.


This won't be a regular occurrence, this sort of food isn't just unhealthy.... it's anti-healthy.

Download a Hungry Lion Menu here