If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Monday, July 4, 2011

Fest '11


The Grahamstown National Arts Festival. Its that time again.

I'd never class myself as cultured. The only stuff I read regularly is nytimes.com and Aljazeera. I really enjoy music... but I'm only interested in the melody, and while I play the guitar, I still don't know which string is which. True story.

After our trip to the Fest though, Im beginning to think none of that matters. What really struck me this weekend was the fun aspect. Two of the three shows we watched had as much to do with 'appreciation of the arts' as my high school's 'Cultural Week' (a week which only succeeded in highlighting how little culture existed.).

I was inspired by ordinary people, comfortable infront of a crowd, having fun and getting paid to do it, not to mention the standing ovations they won.

No comments:

Post a Comment