If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Monday, August 6, 2012

Track visit


After binging on Olympics this weekend, Pete and I hit the Jan Smuts athletics track after work this evening.

Did you know that the 10km runners run at about 16 seconds per 100m... for 10 000 metres.

Our evening went pretty much exactly the same as every other time I've hit the tartan.  Maybe a little less of a shock this time.  Mid-way through our first 800m my limbs started going numb, and my usually careful breathing gradually decayed into uncontrolled gasping.
There was some mutual shock as we discovered that we were already 20 seconds off the women's 800m pace after lap 1.  All dreams of 2016 were drowned out by further gasping.

It sounds like I'm whinging.  I'm not - it was a fun visit, humbling, but fun.  I'll be back after September - until then its hills, hills, hills before the Sole Destroyer. (Sept 2012... See my race review here)

We had to jump the fence to get inside.  Apparently an entire soccer team had shown similar perseverance.  No questions asked.