If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Playlist


I recently discovered the Nike+ Running App.  I've tried hard not to become the guy 'who has an app for that'... but every now and then you discover a winner.

In order to track your run and route - you need to lug your phone along for the ride.  With this has come the opportunity to listen to music while jogging.  I know right... its 2012, where have you been?

That's all good and well, but choosing a playlist is an unappreciated task.  I started Run 1 with a Switchfoot set.  It was great to hit the first km with a face melting guitar solo, but less spectacular in the bowels of Vincent Heights, a few km's in.  Combined with an American constantly telling me how slowly I was running, it lead to a rash increase in pace, mild panic and zero enjoyment.

I was left to consider my more laid back music collection.  It didn't take long, turns out I don't own much.  I hesitated on the solitary Coldplay album... 26 years of avoiding the world's most depressing, sleep inducing band... and I caved on a R50 copy of Viva la Vida.  But listening to Coldpay at 5 in the morning is like smoking at a petrol station - you'll wake up at 8:30 curled up in a gutter, reaching for your bed side lamp.

This morning I risked some Harbourlight.  Success.  An easier tempo, meaningful lyrics and some music to air guitar to down McJanet Drive.