If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Surfers


I've spent the last 2 weeks wondering what to say about the Surfers Challenge.  Admittedly, the moment has passed, and yet its the sort of Saturday afternoon activity which you can't not have an opinion on.

Many regular runners have issues with Surfers; they invariably cite the risk of ankle injuries as their reason for avoiding it... I suspect its the risk of their accountant beating them across the line.  The traffic bottle neck is an almighty leveller.

I don't have an accountant, but I did pass Steve the Accountant in Gonubie... he defeated me last year in the final 2kms, so I savoured the moment.

Everytime you emerge from a river along the course, you're greeted by a bajillion people secretly wishing they had entered the race.  Strangely the want persists, even though the runners look like narrow survivors of a near death by drowning experience.

Toughest part of the race is the walk up Beach Road to find your car, usually parked awkwardly on a curb, between a bush and a lightpole.