If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Friday, January 7, 2011

Bloukrans

Other than the awe-inspiring wind turbine just outside Coega, the last item of interest on my trip to the Cape was an unscheduled stop at Bloukrans, for a bungy jump.

Long time an item on my bucket list, the 5 hour Sunday drive and Pete's casual attitude to road-tripping left enough time for a stop.

Face Adrenalin, an Aussie company, operates the jump.  An Aussie operates the office.  Putting aside my dislike for Australians (excl family), I agreed to let his team tie a rope around my legs and push me off a bridge.

In hindsight, I made some poor decisions this holiday.

Once on the bridge, you're at the mercy of the high-energy music and the dubious pronunciation of your guide.  Like something out of a bad dream, 15 of us crowded around our leader while he rattled off a list of 'Donts', but all I heard was '...Im trying to describe this girl without being disrespectful...'.  Not exactly useful information.

The video feed running to the pub on the hillside is enough to inspire confidence in anyone and priority 1 was to give a manly launch off the bridge, not to melt off the side.  They tell you not to look down.  Good call jump operators.

After my successful cover up, I had to resign myself to death for 5 seconds, as I plummeted, pulled by the bungy cord, toward the river bed.  At this point I reverted to outright terror and remember gasping for enough air to get a good scream out.  Fortunately there are no cameras down there.

Its over in about 2 minutes, which makes it a pricey experience, which I probably won't repeat, yet totally recommended for everyone... once.

Face adrenalin Bloukrans Bungy Jump bookings tel: +27 42 2811 458

No comments:

Post a Comment