If you want new posts delivered to your inbox, stick in yer' address and hit Subscribe...

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Kettle

Our kettle is a soldier.  Our frying pan is also a soldier, CP swears he'll never cook in it.  The kettle works hard.  In lieu of this, it went on strike for 3 days a while back, fortunately returning to action before we had to take 'measures'.

These days I have an 'understanding' with the giver of hot gifts.  When it went on vac last week thursday, I remained confident that we'd have it back in a couple of days.  However, after microwaving a cup of coffee for everyone at poker night, I realized an intervention was neccessary.

Sunday evening saw CP and I stripping ol'faithful on the diningroom table... the might of our combined electrician bearing down on its stained whiteness.

After taking out all visible scews, and dismantling the handle, we stared at it for a while.  I poked some wires with a screw driver. CP told me about the last time he got shocked by a capacitor.  I asked whether the kettle had a capacitor.  Then I stopped poking things with my metal stick.

After some deliberation, we decided it was too much effort to remove the element.  Probability of fault is directly proportional to ease of access.  Its science... I don't expect you to understand.

We reassembled the kettle, plugged it in... and wished we'd looked at the element a little closer.  Flick, flick, flick... bang... BANG... nothing.  CP hit it with his fist, I hit with with the cupboard.  Nothing.

Our experience depleted, I was about to say 'I think its that time when we pra...' and then the LED turned on and the kitchen was filled with the sound of success.  Its still working.

2 comments:

  1. Thats pretty fantastic Rog.

    Loving your Blog at the moment. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hit it harder mate, it never fails

    ReplyDelete